Ok, this one is not a typical singaporean food, as its name implies, since it originated in the Sarawak region, on Borneo island in Malaysia. However, it can be found in many noodles/soup stalls, and for this it could be considered a singapore classic.
I have had the chance to visit Sarawak in 2013, and it was very pleasant, yet I don't think I tried the Kolo Mee there! A simple fact that emphasizes how much of a foodies' nation Singapore is, where regional influences are easily integrated into the cultural patchwork that composes its local cuisine.
So this morning, I tried the Sarawak Kolo Mee for breakfast at the foodcourt near my office, and I was very pleased by this experiment. So what is it made of:
- Mee (instant noodles)
- char siew pork (sweet flavour bbq pork)
- fish cake slicevalue
- garlic
- minced pork
- breaded prok with chili sauce
- sping onions
- a sort of chips
- seasoning: palm oil (:(...), fish sauce, light soya sauce, salt, white pepper. I added some jalapenos on the side, but no sambal chili as I wanted to try without "killing" my fragile western taste buds with chili.
It was quite tasty! Juicy salty noodles and chicken, the various ingredients balance well each other, and make it rather playful to eat as you switch from one taste to another.
Overall, not a very nutritious meal as instant noodles are still the base of this dish, and there is almost no vegetable, except for colouring it green a little...But for S$ 3.50 with a bowl of broth, it is quite a good value for money.
I will definitely have some Sarawak Kolo Mee again soon in a different stall to compare with this one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Must Read
-
Yes, no place on earth is perfect. You surely know it already from experience. Since many people ask, here are some pros and cons about Si...
-
I always loved a good miso soup to start a japanese meal. So, one day, when I came across a big tub of Miso paste I could not resist buy...
-
I was going to fall a bit short of inspiration for what to try for this 5th week of the year, but luckily Zohria came up with the idea of go...
-
Week 10 of 2015! I feel like I have already done quite a bit of testing this year, and a lot of it was leveraging outside providers, like d...
-
The thought manifests the word The word manifests the deed The deed develops into habit And habit hardens into character So watch the th...
-
Hold fast to dreams, For if dreams die, Life is a broken-winged bird That cannot fly. Hold fast to dreams. For if dreams go, Life is a ba...
-
As a western kid, and one from the nation of Pasteur , I have been loaded with antibiotics in my youth, for all sorts of conditions. I deep...
-
I had nothing planned for this NYE, with most of my friends returning from our remote hometown of Raon l'Etape to their bigger cities an...
-
Today, i realized that: When you are giving hard work for a long time and you are frustrated by it not bringing results, you better keep ...

No comments:
Post a Comment